Wednesday 2 March 2011

Rant 738 / The Heat Is Really Back

The new IPT sounds useful but it's unclear what these "Personal Performance Targets" (PPT) are. If I can't attain those standards, I'll have to attend an additional 8 sessions of RT, making it a total of 18 sessions, 2 less than just plain RT.

I'm concerned about a few factors:

- the difficulty of the new IPT sessions
- the difficulty of the PPT
- whether there are changes to the RT routines

The changes clearly are meant to help but I'm not sure if most care if they get fitter or not. I care, but not as much as I care about how hard I get pushed during each IPT session, especially since there is no fixed schedule. When attendance wholly depends on self-discipline, I've learnt long ago that pushing myself too hard only makes me want to avoid it more. There really isn't any reason to make us really sweat if we eventually decide we'd rather just go for RT which, despite its fixed schedule, is much less strenuous and get us paid like $10-15 per session depending on our ranks.








Either I'm getting the hang of Bad Company 2: Vietnam or it really wasn't that bad, but I'm starting to have a little more interest in it... for now. In the long term, I still don't see myself being a huge fan of the game simply because of the community - half the players don't try to advance hard enough. Frequently, they're staying far from any known enemy locations and sniping.

2-3 snipers in a team of 15? Fine, that's useful. 5-6 snipers in a team of 15? They better be killing everything in the frontlines!

But no, things never work out that way. As a result, they waste time and, worse, may not even be able to hold territory.

Anyway I've only played Conquest mode so far in all my games so I can only describe this mode. Fortunately this seems to be the most popular mode according to the active server list whenever I'm online.

Conquest means there are several capturable points, plus one non-capturable point for each faction on opposite ends of the map. These points act as spawn points, ie they are the strategic locations.

Each team begins with a number of tickets, and each time a player dies he consumes one. Ticket bleed begins when one team has captured more points than the other.

The objective is to make the other team hit zero tickets. Capturing all the points help but isn't absolutely necessary. There have been too many games in which my team managed to capture all the flags in the end only to see "Your Team Has Lost."

Mostly I've been a Medic although I rarely do medic stuff, primarily because I'm not familiar with all the maps except Operation Hastings and Phu Bai Valley. Another reason is that my ping and my slow reaction timing prevents me from surviving most encounters with the enemy. Nevertheless, despite usually being the champion in terms of Death rate, I'm usually in the middle of the scoreboard. That just proves that too many players have no idea what they're doing.

However, it also might have to do with the fact that I try to follow the best players in the team whenever possible. Since I'm not familiar with the maps, the best thing I can do is often to follow them and heal/revive them when they get hurt.

That always works because whenever I follow them often, especially when I'm fortunate enough to be in the same squad as them (we can respawn next to squad mates), my score always gets a serious boost from the heals, revives and kills/kill assists.

I get more points from healing them because good players try to heal themselves instead of just running away after clearing an area and their better accuracy helps keep them alive more often to be healed.

Of course, I also make embarrassingly stupid mistakes. One time in one of the maps, the best player in the team was driving a boat while I was manning the boat's front MG. His steady driving and my gun took out the entire crew of an enemy boat. Then I saw a tiny boat-like shape on the right, so I kept firing at it.

Within 3s we were all killed by someone on the left and he was screaming at me," What the hell were you firing at?!?" That was when it hit me that the boat-like shape was part of the background (skybox?) at the edge of the map.

I'd never noticed those shapes until then.









仙剑奇侠传2 had a bug at the end just like its prequel, except it was even more annoying. When the final boss uses its ultimate attack the game crashes back to Windows. Very gay. Fortunately that's the last boss so I could just go to Tudou or Youku to watch the ending.

Gameplay's much better than its prequel but the story was definitely inferior.








It is, in reality, too easy to say many words and not a single thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment