Friday 4 March 2011

Rant 739 / The Chinese Lecturer For My Chinese-English Contrastive Analysis Class Also Speaks French And Even Did A Little French-Chinese Translation. /Respect

Monk. It can get so irritating but it's the only crime show that I haven't watched yet. Monk's phobias were funny sometimes but he was such a frickin baby I had to skip scenes to keep calm.

I have no idea how it got, what, 8 seasons? There simply isn't a reason, as far as I can tell, that explains why people liked this show. His behaviour was so rage-inducing and his crime-solving logic could at times skip so many steps that he appeared to be more of a psychic than an actual genius detective.

If one actually thinks about what his logic, it's possible to figure out the multiple steps he took to reach the conclusion. However, these steps did not necessarily have to result in the way he "knew" they did. Life is full of unexpected and illogical coincidences, and Occam's Razor is not the only logic tool. Yet he was always right.

The show was so full of shit.

And its theme song sucked, at least for season 3.









I know it was unnecessary, but this gave me a clue as to how things work behind the website. Besides, this little gesture cost me nothing and has a chance of preventing others from falling for Alphascript's... marketing techniques. I try my best to overestimate the stupidity of fellow humans.

Maz seems to be the guy who handles customer service since he's handled my case the last time when the payment page got screwed up. I like his prompt and personally-typed responses. He doesn't seem to use ready-made templates that many companies use to respond to customers.

As for whether they will actually remove all those books, who knows? As of now, they're still up.







Went for the first real IPT session. It's still the old system for me, so I have to attend 6 IPT sessions plus 2 IPPT sessions, making a total of 8.

Today's training was not as tough as the one I attended last year which had made me choose RT instead. It could have been that I was not the only one who couldn't handle it, or it's because this is only the second week of the 5.

I like how the PTI openly stated that he was aware that some of us couldn't finish the run and remained encouraging. I think their officers told them to do it because in previous years they just ignore people who have difficulty coping with the exercises.

Today, the routine was:

- 15 pushups, stay down for 5s for the last
- 30s of leg raise at 45 degrees, immediately followed by 20s at 20 degrees
- overhead clap, 20 counts of 4
- toe raise, 20 counts of 4
- flutter kick, 10 counts of 4
- 20 tuck jumps, with constant hopping between each count
- 3km run/jog/walk

He didn't push us during the run so a lot of people just walked, me included. Overheard one guy telling his friend that since he wasn't getting paid, there was no reason to work hard. IPT is completely voluntary. I only did 2km but I was probably one of the fastest walkers and even did a bit of running near the end, just enough to make me pant by the time I reached the ending point. In contrast, almost 2/3 of the people in the IPT session were strolling like they were with their girlfriends.

Personally I feel that what made it easier was the positive attitude. While reading this HWZ thread on the IPPT stuff, I got reminded that this was supposed to be voluntary and that I'd always wanted to do some exercise but never got the motivation to start. I don't know about everyone else, but as the age of 30 gets closer, worries about my health are beginning to pop into existence.

Anyway, 5 more to go. Hope they're all this easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment