Thursday 17 March 2011

Rant 748 / Decimus And Saarebas

Some people are saying they should continue to build nuclear power plants and learn from the current disaster in Japan, which at this point has caused radiation level in the capital, Tokyo, to be 10 times the norm.

I'm not saying this opinion is wrong. In fact I do not mind this idea.

What I feel is that this is unrealistic. Japan has shown us that even the best safety precautions today (they had extensive backup measures in that plant) cannot protect us against reality, and that in reality, shit happens.

Just look at what occurred there - a 9.0 earthquake followed by a huge tsunami, now there's even a 6.0 earthquake, probably an aftershock.

This immediately raised one question in my head:

Who the heck would plan for disasters of this magnitude?

Even if it was suggested by the engineers or architects, I'm sure many at the top would have given that age-old argument that it was impractical to prepare for something so rare and that it would cost them too much to protect themselves from something that probably wouldn't happen in their lifetimes.

Well, Mother Nature's triple-hit Fatality combo on Japan just smashed this logic to pieces. There's no longer such a thing as "too unlikely to happen" now, because it just did!

Other than the slow horrible deaths for those affected by the radiation and the numerous quick deaths earlier, the price being paid by Japan just got a lot more expensive because of the nuclear radiation. Here, we can use Ukraine's Chernobyl to predict what is going to happen:

Japan, for at least decades if not centuries, is going to spend millions every year to compensate for this mistake. First, it has to take care of all those affected by the radiation. Subsidies, treatments, decontamination, everything.

Second, it's possible they're going to have to build a giant concrete casing around the plant to contain the radiation, unless they come up with something more advanced. Who knows? But this casing will have to be constantly monitored and maintained, which will be extremely expensive.

Finally, the land around it will not be safe for housing or agriculture for centuries, if not millennia.

So yes, I'm still okay with nuclear energy, but they're going to have to spend a lot more to prevent even disasters like this, probably to the point where nuclear energy stops being cheap anymore.




I bet somewhere down the road, people will recall this and all the other nuclear plant incidents before this and form the opinion that nuclear energy was never cheap.

As for now, one thing is for sure - heads are about to roll. Dozens of them.








Those NPCs in Dragon Age are 2 weird. I've noticed this whore during my excursions into Lowtown at night.


This is one of the busier zones in this area where I've had quite a number of fights. Yet every single time, this prostitute would be there on the upper right leaning on the wooden scaffolding is there, even when there's nobody around.




She just leans there coolly watching us fight over 9000 bandits right there in front of her, and every time I get close to her accidentally she asks me "Do you want to see my diddies?" or sometimes "I'll be here all night."

Like I'm horny while I'm busy trying to backstab someone!

I'm not backstabbing with that!





Yea, that's her. Not exactly the kind of beauty that would stop me in my tracks.







Do you want to see my diddies?




I'll be here...





all...






night...





long.






Oh Dragon Age 2.



So I believe I've completed all the side quests in Kirkwall at this point. The problem is that I forgot to save up 50 sovereigns, so now I think I have to resort to doing the "Friends in Low Places" quest in which a shady dwarf loans me the money with the agreement that I return double later.

I don't know how this is going to affect the game in the long run but I don't really have a choice anymore.

Also, I keep making decisions that piss Fenris off (being too much of a whiteknight)  so I had to replace him with Isabella. Had to take some time to decide between her and Merrill but in the end I decided that my party is generally too weak already, since my protagonist is a rogue (as shown above) and Bethany is a mage. Having a blood mage, who consumes health at times instead of mana to cast spells, would reduce the overall toughness of the party.

Yea, overall. Whenever one party member gets KO'ed during battle, the effects are more than just having three left. One also has to take into account what he/she could have contributed to the battle had he/she survived, like heal someone or gave everybody a buff.



Anyway the bosses were soooo hard, some of them. These may not seem hard to you if you're playing on Normal, I don't know, but on Hard, things are hard. Unless you've found some bug to exploit or whatever.

The first incredibly hard battle I fought was with Decimus, a blood mage. His blood magic was so powerful and he seems to have two extremely lethal spells - some kind of blood nova that does a ton of damage in an area, and a similar one that he casts onto himself that damages us significantly over a bloody long period of time.

The trick was to focus on Decimus himself right from the beginning and make full use of every disabling abilities and spells from all party members to prevent his spellcasting. When he casts that second spell onto himself, it's insanely hard, if not impossible, to interrupt him. I had used Aveline's Shield Bash and Assault on him to no effect.

A mage!

Therefore, it is completely necessary to keep him disabled before he even casts a spell and once he casts the second spell, it's too late - KILL HIM AT ALL COST!!!

Running will only make things worse because you will also be surrounded by his minions and it will be hard to chase him especially when there are archers and more mages reinforcing them after a while.

The best thing is to kill him before the mages arrive. Those guys may have short HP bars but if your party is anything like mine, their fireballs will hurt you more than any other minion present at that battle.



The second incredibly hard battle would be the one with the Tal-Vashoth in the cave. Not the boss or archers, irritating as they are. No, the hard part is the Saarebas, aka the mage. He needs to die as soon as possible due to his lightnight spell. However, he can teleport and he's tough.

For this battle, when I killed him, I only had Hawke and Aveline left. Bethany while running after the Saarebas. Isabella died trying to kill it. Finally, Hawke died after we killed everybody except the two toughest enemies when they both ganged up on him. Aveline had to fight them 1v2... and survived. Her damage was so bad but so was theirs. Furthermore, I had plenty of potions. Perhaps that's the reason I couldn't save up 50 sovereigns.

No comments:

Post a Comment