Friday 25 March 2011

Rant 752 / Qu'ils Mangent De La Brioche

So a factory we do business with in China requested a letter of authorization to use our brand name and logo. For some reason they're encountering problems with this legal issue only now. Why? What law was changed recently in China?

They faxed my boss a letter of authorization for her to sign... except it was a little too general IMO.


[business name] hereby authorizes [factory name] to manufacture and export apparel bearing our brand name and/or logo produced in their factory located at [factory address]. This authorization is valid through December 31, 2011. If you require additional information, please contact me directly at [hp no.] or via email [email].

My problem with this was that this was going to allow them to produce those "apparel" for any purpose, including export to other stores in Singapore without our knowing.

So I had raised this issue and was instructed to make some changes. This is the end result. I haven't printed it yet. Probably will do that tomorrow or something.


[business name] hereby authorizes [factory name] to manufacture and export for us apparel bearing our brand name and/or logo produced in their factory located at [factory address]. [business name] does not authorize the use of such apparel for any other purposes. This authorization is valid through December 31, 2011. If you require additional information, please contact me directly at [hp no.] or via email [email].

Brand:
Logo:

Looks better this way, but it still doesn't look right. For one, it doesn't sound very natural to me. The extra line about what it doesn't authorize wasn't my idea. I didn't like it due to its redundancy but there's no harm being too careful about such documents.

Heck, I'm not even sure if the changes are necessary.







I need a chair. I broke my chair some months ago but it could still support me. Now I'm feeling a little worried when I use it after it shifted a little yesterday, so I've switched to a stool.

Unfortunately the stool is too tall, so it's getting quite uncomfortable. Without something to lean back on, it's also pretty painful for my back. Now I have to stand up every once in a while or else it'll get painful to stand straight.

But I'm still too lazy to find a new chair.









So someone called a local radio station to say that people who are underdressed when going to Holland V are heartlanders with no class, and even went on further to state which areas of Singapore they're most likely from. To top it all off, she tells them to stay away from that place.

Oh yes, that far. So not only is she insulting every single blue-collar worker out there, she's also pissing off residents of those areas she mentioned.

Holland Village, aka Holland V, is a street with a number of bars and restaurants, ie that's one place to go to for nightlife. As the name implies, it's pretty westernised, and one can always find white people there, both tourists and residents.

As much as I agree with the fact that being underdressed = lacking class for most people, I'm not sure how it's necessary to wear better clothes just to drink at a bar. A t-shirt and bermudas are perfectly fine for such an activity, IMO. Furthermore, being underdressed does not always necessarily imply a lack of wealth, culture or class.

If she was serious, she needs to get out of the country and take a look around. If she wasn't, I think she just trolled half the island.

Either way, she's the one without class and culture. Blatant elitism is never cool.

If she was being honest on air, then she probably has money.

However, in order to inject some positivity into this blog, I'll rephrase what I was actually going to say:

She's an important part of our society because people like her help make capitalism work. All businesspeople should love people like her. If everyone who has money is also smart, it wouldn't be easy to make profits.

No comments:

Post a Comment